Monday, July 26, 2010

Mentoring Monday: Two-Week Itch

Mentoring Mondays:
Teaching you to be a Lady while you teach me to be a Dad (post by Adam)

We’re about 2 and half weeks from meeting, Maddie.  I can’t speak for you but I’m nervous and at times, a touch scared.  Nervous because parenting will be the hardest job I’ve ever undertaken.  Scared because there’s little room for error.  I’ve never been afraid of failing and I’m not too much of a perfectionist but the flipside is I’ve never been more serious about anything in my life than as I am about you.  
But I suppose this is where the whole “you mentoring me” bit comes into play.  I imagine how you teach me to be a father will be subtle and on-going and I may not even realize that it’s happening nor will you realize that you’re teaching me anything at all.  And that’s the sweet, subtle beauty of the whole thing, Pitseleh*.  
I suppose the bottom line is I haven’t even seen you and I love you more than I’ve ever loved anything in my whole life.  Emotions that strong can be very scary because the price of letdown and failure are too high.  Well, I’m not going to worry so much that the fear becomes crippling and forces me into inaction (which is often far worse than making the wrong decision).  Just know that all the bands I’ve been in, all the songs I’ve written, all the shows I’ve played, the best thing I’ve ever created is you.  (Oh okay, your mom helped.)
This one’s a bit short but I’ve said all I need to say for right now.  I’ll let my actions do the talking for me.  I promise to be the best father I can.  Will you mentor me while I mentor you?  I promise we’ll have a good life.
I love you, Maddie.
-Your Dad

* “Pitseleh” is Yiddish for “Little One.”

No comments:

Post a Comment